Gavin Bryars - The Sinking Of The Titanic mp3 album
The Sinking of the Titanic is a work by British minimalist composer Gavin Bryars. Inspired by the story that the band on the RMS Titanic continued to perform as the ship sank in 1912, it recreates how the music performed by the band would reverberate through the water some time after they ceased performing. Composed between 1969 and 1972, the work is now considered one of the classics of British experimental music.
One of the two works for which composer Gavin Bryars is best known (the other being "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet"), his epochal "The Sinking of the Titanic" had been recorded three times in the 25 years since its creation. The first, for Brian Eno's Obscure label, was a landmark recording, but went swiftly out of print and became a much sought after collector's item, while the third, a relatively bland performance on Point, was widely distributed in the late '90s. This album was recorded in a large, abandoned water tower that adds enormously to its reverberative nature. The hymns used (particularly "Autumn," which modern listeners will recognize as being very similar to "Amazing Grace") take on a remarkably plaintive and ethereal character as the image of an undersea orchestra takes form.
More By Gavin Bryars Ensemble. See All. Bryars: The Sinking of the Titanic. Gavin Bryars Anniversary Album. Bryars: Nothing Like the Sun. 2016. The Sinking of the Titanic (Live).
The Sinking Of The Titanic. Also featured on. +3 other releases. Adnan Songbook 7. Gavin Bryars.
It is this idea that has been realized in multiple ways, here with a small ensemble of instruments, spoken words, prerecorded material, and a turntablist. No venue is specified beyond the 2012 tour by the composer and his Gavin Bryars Ensemble. Highly recommended, even for those quite familiar with the work.
|1||Opening Part I||1:48|
|2||Titanic Hymn (Autumn) All Strings||5:10|
|6||Hymn IV (Aughton)||6:26|
|7||Opening Part II||6:10|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Point Music
- Copyright (c) – Point Music
- Published By – Mnemonic Publishing
- Recorded At – Euphorbia Productions
- Recorded At – DAT Studios
- Recorded At – Westleton Church, Suffolk
- Mastered At – Autograph Sound Recording Ltd.
- Made By – PMDC, Germany
- Art Direction – Margery Greenspan
- Bass [Occasionaly With Octave Pedals], Composed By, Producer – Gavin Bryars
- Bass Clarinet – Roger Heaton
- Bells, Marimba, Cymbal, Wood Block [Woodblocks], Tom Tom [Tam-tam], Bass Drum, Gong [Water Gongs] – Martin Allen
- Cello – Caroline Dale, Sophie Harris
- Cello [Children Strings] – Lucy Thornton, Orlanda Bryars, Ziella Bryars
- Choir [Children Voices] – The Westhaston Boys' Choir
- Directed By [The Westhaston Boys' Choir, Director] – Christopher Barnett
- Effects [Sound Effects] – Paul Bull
- Electric Guitar – James Woodrow
- Horns [Tenor Horns], Wood Block [Woodblocks], Tom Tom [Tam-tam], Keyboards [Korg M1] – Dave Smith
- Mixed By [2 Track Digital Mix] – Mike Furness
- Photography By [Cover Photos Of Gavin Bryars] – Nick White
- Sound Designer, Engineer – Chris Ekers
- Viola – Alexander Balanescu, Bill Hawkes, Jonathan Carney
- Viola [Children Strings] – Camilla Thornton
NotesRecorded at Le Chateau d'Eau, Bourges, Westleton Church, Suffolk and DAT Studios, London
Bourges digital mastering at Autography Sound Recording Ltd.
© All music published by Mnemonic Publishing.
℗ © 1994 POINT Music / A Joint Venture of Euphorbia Productions, Ltd. and Philips Classics Productions.
Printed in Germany
Catalog number "446 061-2" on CD, "446-061-2" on spine, "446 061 2" on booklet
Packaging: standard jewel case with 12 page booklet
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 0 28944 60612 6
- Rights Society: BIEM
- Rights Society: STEMRA
- Label Code: LC 6042
- Mastering SID Code: IFPI L001
- Mould SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI 01BF
- Matrix / Runout: 446 061-2 01 /
- Other (CD mould): MADE IN GERMANY BY PMDC
- Mould SID Code (Variant 2): IFPI 0162
|446 061-2||Gavin Bryars||The Sinking Of The Titanic (CD, Album)||Point Music||446 061-2||Canada||1994|
|446 061-2||Gavin Bryars||The Sinking Of The Titanic (CD, Album, Club)||Point Music||446 061-2||US||1994|
|446 061-2||Gavin Bryars||The Sinking Of The Titanic (CD, Album)||Point Music||446 061-2||US||1995|
|none||Gavin Bryars||The Sinking Of The Titanic (Cass, Promo, Dol)||Point Music||none||US||Unknown|
|446 061-4||Gavin Bryars||The Sinking Of The Titanic (Cass, Album)||Point Music||446 061-4||US||1994|